Aberlleiniog Castle or the remains of it are located on the east coast of Anglesey, close to the village of Llandoed.
It is a Motte and Bailey style fortress which was constructed between 1080 and 1099. It was built by Hugh d’Avranches, who was the 1st Earl of Chester. He was also known as Hugh the Fat and Hugh the Wolf. For a period of time he ruled over most of north Wales including Anglesey but lost it in 1094 in a welsh revolt.
Aberlleiniog Castle is quite small in stature, almost quaint in its size. It sits on top of a small hill surrounded by woodlands, there is a river running to the rear. The walk to the castle is well worth it in itself, a great place to take the dogs for a walk through the woodlands.
To get to Aberlleiniog Castle park at the little car park next to the Menai. Head towards Penmon Point and you can miss it. Simply follow the signposted path way to the castle.
Closest toilets are in Beaumaris next to the castle LL58 8AL and behind the Neptune chippy on the main road through town.